VAT deferral scheme (2020) update
Below sets out HMRC guidelines on the available options for the VAT deferral scheme.
The options to make these payments are as follows:
- pay the deferred VAT in full, on or before 31 March 2021
- join the VAT deferral new payment scheme – the online service is open between 23 February and 21 June 2021
- contact HMRC on Telephone: 0800 024 1222 by 30 June if you need extra help to pay
You may be charged interest or a penalty if you do not:
- pay the deferred VAT in full by 31 March 2021
- opt into the new payment scheme by 21 June 2021
- agree extra help to pay with HMRC by 30 June 2021
If you want to pay your deferred VAT by 31 March 2021, you do not have to contact HMRC, simply make the payment in advance to avoid late payment penalties.
If you want to join the new scheme:
The VAT deferral new payment scheme will be open from 23 February up to and including 21 June 2021.
The new scheme lets you:
- pay your deferred VAT in equal instalments, interest free
- choose the number of instalments, from 2 to 11 (depending on when you join) *see below
To use the online service, you must:
- join the scheme yourself, we are unable to do this for you
- still have deferred VAT to pay
- be up to date with your VAT returns
- join by 21 June 2021
- pay the first instalment when you join
- pay your instalments by Direct Debit
If you join the scheme, you can still have a Time to Pay arrangement for other HMRC debts and outstanding tax.
*Instalment options available to you
The month you decide to join the scheme will determine the maximum number of instalments that are available to you. If you join the scheme in March, you’ll be able to pay your deferred VAT in 11 instalments or fewer.
The table below sets out the monthly joining deadlines (to allow for Direct Debit processing) and the corresponding number of maximum instalments (including the first payment):
|If you join by:||Number of instalments available to you:|
|19 March 2021||11|
|21 April 2021||10|
|19 May 2021||9|
|21 June 2021||8|
Before you join the scheme
Before joining, you must:
- create your own Government Gateway account (if you do not already have one)
- submit any outstanding VAT returns from the last 4 years – otherwise you’ll not be able to join the scheme
- correct errors on your VAT returns as soon as possible
- make sure you know how much you owe, including the amount you originally deferred and how much you may have already paid (if unsure, please contact us for information)